Friday, March 12, 2010

Heads Up.. Finding Preceptors

soo heads up to all NP students, just so you know, since I wasn't aware of this until recently, we have to arrange our preceptors by ourselves. The school doesn't set it up for you like when we were in nursing school/undergrad. We must go search for a NP or physician willing to train us.. hahaha.. they are out there. It's just a matter of finding one that's free, since there are other students asking for them...

start asking your advisors how your program works, and what are the acceptable types of preceptors for your specific program.

for example. I'm allowed to arrange my clinicals in my place of work as long as it's not the floor I currently work in. It's almost like a mini-interview for internships and selling yourself. Start searching early.. i'm allowed to ask NPs and physicians.. I will work my way up to physicians as soon as I am comfortable enough with conducting a thorough H&P and presenting a diagnosis..

start networking, getting ur name out there.. i start my practicum in the fall of 2010, but i started now... and then searching will start all over again in the summer for spring 2011, etc..

check out VA clinics, urgent care centers, etc.. if they don't have a position, ask them if they have another institution that they would recommend.. don't give up..

aight that's it for now.. back to working on my case study, email me for questions.. good luck to everyone ^__^

things to do over the summer before clinical rotations:

BLS recert
ACLS initial
Master Clinical Skills & Physical Diagnoses --> be comfortable with H&P
review medications, labs, etc
STUDY !!!

spend time with my loved ones.. ^___^

No comments:

Post a Comment